Overview of the Scholarship
The Mandela Rhodes Scholarships programme is a combination of financial support for postgraduate studies and a high quality leadership development programme, with the intention of building exceptional leadership capacity in Africa.
A. Financial scope of the scholarship
The Scholarship covers the cost of a Scholar as follows:
- Tuition and registration fees as set by the institution;
- A study materials allowance as set by the MRF;
- Accommodation and meal allowances as set by the MRF;
- A medical aid allowance as set by the MRF;
- Economy-class travel allowance for international Scholars only from the Scholar’s home to their institution at the beginning and back home at the end of their degree programme;
- Personal allowance.
B. Leadership development programme
The leadership development programme is made up of the following three components.
- Three residential workshops;
- Three regional group pods;
The heart of the leadership development programme is delivered primarily through a series of residential workshops. These highlight and engage critically with the four principles of the Foundation, namely: Leadership, Reconciliation, Entrepreneurship and Education. The workshops create a unique opportunity to build the individual capacities of Scholars, provide the space to engage with high-profile leaders and expert thinkers, build a sense of community within the cohort and connect incoming Scholars to the broader Mandela Rhodes Community.
The Foundation holds three workshops of approximately five days each during the year. Attendance to the workshops is compulsory for all Scholars. Since workshop dates will be given in advance, Mandela Rhodes Scholars must make the necessary arrangements where there are clashes with their academic calendars to ensure full participation in the workshops.
Regional Group Pods
Group Pods are regional gatherings which seek to:
- Build stronger local support networks;
- Continue particular conversations and areas of reflection and engagement to supplement learning from the residential workshops;
- Enrich the residential experience once Scholars return home.
The third component of the programme is a voluntary Mentoring Programme. The purpose of this component is to:
- Give Scholars in residence space for one-on-one reflection, advice and growth;
- Allow alumni Mandela Rhodes Scholars to give back to the Foundation through volunteering their time serving as mentors;
- Build inter-generational networks;
- Enrich and support the journey of Scholars in their year-in-residence beyond the group gatherings.
- The Scholarship is open to citizens of all African countries
- The Scholarship is for postgraduate study at South African universities or tertiary institutions
- Full funding is for Honours (maximum one year) or Masters (up to a maximum of two years) or their equivalents (MBA’s excluded)
- Any individual who will be between the ages of 19 and 30 years at the time of taking up the Scholarship may apply
- Applicants must possess a first degree or its equivalent or must be in the process of completing one by 31 January 2018
- Applicants should have a history of well above average academic results
- Individuals that reflect in their character a commitment to the four principles of Education, Reconciliation, Leadership and Entrepreneurship
- Applicants must be able to attend all compulsory elements of our leadership development programme. These activities can occur during the week or on weekends.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred once awarded. It must be taken up in the year which was applied for.
PLEASE NOTE: If you qualify for the Scholarship, The Mandela Rhodes Foundation does not apply to tertiary institutions on your behalf. Applicants must apply separately to their chosen tertiary institution for the degree they wish to undertake. The Scholarship award is conditional on the applicant being offered a place at the relevant institution.
How to Apply
The opening date for 2018 Scholarship applications is 10 March 2017.
The closing date is 18 April 2017.
All Mandela Rhodes Scholarship applicants are to apply online VIA THIS LINK